My Effervescent World

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

On Second Chances

I am Filipino - a Flip. For my caker friends, it means being bound by values, traditions, superstition and as if it wasn't enough, by opinions of people who will never step out of their boundaries because they do not know otherwise. And what it meant for me was a death sentence. It never made sense to me, how could I have been born to a race where for centuries, the descendants only followed? I rebelled but only became more of a prisoner of a society that is hell bent in detaining me. So after countless sleepless nights and thousands of thoughts captured in paper, I broke free. I left my old life, where I never felt I belonged. Turned my back on a culture that suppressed me, because it fascistly thinks it knows better. I'm still a Flip, I can't deny my color, my features but I'm no longer bound by its tradition or beliefs that a divorced woman is an outcast, simply because I said I'm done. So pardon me for not screaming at the top of my voice, crying out "Ako'y Pinoy".
Thank God for second chances.. and the assurance of His love. My family who stood by me, no matter what. And the love of a man who thought I saved him, little did he know, he saved me.

2 comments:

Smoooth said...

WOW...
that hit my soul, like you were reading from within me...

Ako Pinoy - I say that with an upgrade.

So true about being bound by tradition and beliefs, I stand by you with the same view. (ok i'll stand behind you just in case Sh&t hits the fan, you can take the 1st blows hehehehe)

But on a serious note, there is so much to love about our Philipino culture and beliefs, there is also equally to disagree with.

- Omar (I love adobo hehehe)

Unknown said...

Chipmunk...you are such an exquisitely beautiful and multi-faceted person. Just when I think that I am beginning to appreciate you fully, you force me to re-evaluate my thoughts. I am continually amazed by the depth and intensity of your perceptions and convictions. After coming out to my parents, I felt so ostracized by them...I can appreciate a modicum of what you experienced. By the grace of my Guru and GOD, my healing has begun and I am so happy to know that yours is complete. I am truly fortunate to count you as a friend....